Ian will be based in the firm’s Brisbane office while Damien will be in Tokyo. Both partners have joined the firm from Ashurst and will commence their new roles early next year.
Ian specialises in M&A and joint ventures in the energy, resources, infrastructure and industrial sectors and his experience includes advising a range of Asia-based clients.
Damien specialises in M&A with a strong focus on the energy sector. He has been based in Tokyo since 2011.
Herbert Smith Freehills Global Head of Corporate, Mike Ferraro said: “Ian and Damien are both highly regarded M&A lawyers and their appointments will bolster our already strong client offering in Asia Pacific.
“In particular, Ian’s strong relationships with Japanese and Korean organisations and Damien’s long-standing relationships with key Japanese corporates and semi-government bodies will boost Herbert Smith Freehills’ strength in Japan and Korea.
“Ian and Damien will also bring considerable expertise to the firm’s cross-border capabilities in Asia Pacific and will assist those clients investing into Europe and Africa.”
- Herbert Smith Freehills advise Japan’s Gulliver on investment in Western Australian car dealership network
- William Ku Joins Herbert Smith Freehills as Debt Capital Markets Partner in Hong Kong
- Herbert Smith Freehills Expands Middle East Offering With Saudi Launch and Projects and Corporate Practice Capability
- Herbert Smith Freehills Advises Pepper Group Limited on A$400m Whole Loan Sale of Residential Mortgage Portfolio
- Herbert Smith Freehills Advises on A$285 Million Hornsdale Wind Farm Project