Ian will be based in the firm’s Brisbane office while Damien will be in Tokyo. Both partners have joined the firm from Ashurst and will commence their new roles early next year.
Ian specialises in M&A and joint ventures in the energy, resources, infrastructure and industrial sectors and his experience includes advising a range of Asia-based clients.
Damien specialises in M&A with a strong focus on the energy sector. He has been based in Tokyo since 2011.
Herbert Smith Freehills Global Head of Corporate, Mike Ferraro said: “Ian and Damien are both highly regarded M&A lawyers and their appointments will bolster our already strong client offering in Asia Pacific.
“In particular, Ian’s strong relationships with Japanese and Korean organisations and Damien’s long-standing relationships with key Japanese corporates and semi-government bodies will boost Herbert Smith Freehills’ strength in Japan and Korea.
“Ian and Damien will also bring considerable expertise to the firm’s cross-border capabilities in Asia Pacific and will assist those clients investing into Europe and Africa.”
- Herbert Smith Freehills Advises Pepper Group Limited on A$400m Whole Loan Sale of Residential Mortgage Portfolio
- Skadden Adds Corporate Finance Partner Kenji Taneda in Tokyo
- Ashurst Strengthens Greater China Practice With Major Corporate Hire
- Herbert Smith Freehills Advises Joint Lead Managers on ANZ’s A$1b Offer of ANZ Capital Notes 5 and CPS3 Buy-Back Facility
- Squire Patton Boggs Adds Experienced Corporate Partner in Tokyo