On February 28, 2017, Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Company (ADWEC) and a consortium comprising Marubeni Corporation and JinkoSolar entered into a power purchase agreement (PPA) for the 1,170 MW Sweihan Solar PV Independent Power Project in Abu Dhabi.
The project will be the world’s largest solar photovoltaic (PV) plant. The project is due to enter into operation in the second quarter of 2019 and represents an important part of the UAE’s plans for strategic diversification involving clean energy resources.
Akin Gump is acting as legal advisor to ADWEC and its parent, the Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Authority (ADWEA), in the development and financing of the project.
Chadi Salloum, co-partner in charge of Akin Gump’s Abu Dhabi office; Ed Zaelke, chair of Akin Gump’s global project finance practice; and Dan Sinaiko, partner in the firm’s global project finance practice, are leading the deal team for Akin Gump. They are supported by senior counsel Shawn Davis and David Lee, counsel Nidal Daraiseh and Inderveer Hothi and associate Jeff Quinn-Cane.
- Akin Gump Advises Abu Dhabi Global Market in Launch of New Foundations Regime
- Akin Gump Advises Trivon Communications on the Sale of Its Stake in Digit One
- Akin Gump Expands Asia Energy Practice with Senior Energy Partner Hire in Singapore
- Chadbourne Advises Consortium on US$300 Million Independent Water Project in Oman
- Herbert Smith Freehills – Project Experts Advise Horizon Power On Off Grid Electricity Supply for Bushfire Affected Western Australia