Davis Polk advised Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group, Inc. (SMFG) on its debut SEC-registered takedown offering, which consisted of $1.75 billion aggregate principal amount of 2.934% senior notes due 2021, $1.5 billion aggregate principal amount of 3.784% senior notes due 2026 and $750 million aggregate principal amount of floating-rate senior notes due 2021.
The notes are structured to count as total loss-absorbing capacity (TLAC) when TLAC regulations are implemented in Japan.
SMFG is the holding company for one of the three largest banking groups in Japan. Its wholly owned subsidiary, Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation, is one of the world’s largest commercial banks.
The Davis Polk team included partners Eugene C. Gregor and Jon Gray, counsel Christopher J. Kodama and associate Benjamin Potter. Counsel Alon Gurfinkel and associate Nicholas A. Machen provided tax advice. Associate Colleen Blanco provided 1940 Act advice. Members of the Davis Polk team are based in the Tokyo, London and New York offices.
- Davis Polk Advises Orient Securities Company Limited on Its HK$6.8 Billion (US$876 million) Initial Public Offering
- Davis Polk – Fantasia Holdings Group Co., Limited CNY600 Million High-Yield Notes Offering
- Davis Polk Advises Golden Wheel Tiandi Holdings Limited $100 Million High-Yield Senior Notes Offering
- Norton Rose Fulbright Advises Mitsui & Co., Ltd. on Its Participation in the Acquiring Consortium
- Davis Polk Advises Yihai International Holding Ltd. on Its HK$858 Million (US$111 Million) Initial Public Offering