DLA Piper represented Ports America in its US$45 million acquisition of an equity stake in Kao Ming Container Terminal Corp. (KMCT). This was Ports America’s first significant international investment.
Ports America is the largest terminal operator in the United States, operating in more than 42 ports and 80 locations. KMCT, located in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, was previously fully owned by Taiwanese carrier Yang Ming Marine Transport Corp. KMCT was established as a build-operate-transfer (BOT) project between the Port of Kaohsiung Intercontinental Container Terminal BOT, Kaohsiung Harbour Bureau and Yang Ming. The Taiwan facility handled 1.08 million TEUs in its first year of operation.
The transaction involved the establishment of a Dutch holding company and involved DLA Piper lawyers from the firm’s offices in New Jersey, New York, Northern Virginia, Amsterdam, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Beijing.
The US-based DLA Piper team representing Ports America was led by Michael E. Helmer (New Jersey) andTao Xu (Reston), with assistance from Gerald Rokoff (New York), Drew Young (New York), Paulus Merks(Amsterdam), Jian-Cheng Ku (Amsterdam), Yannick Schuerman (Amsterdam), Gabriel van Gelder (Amsterdam), John Shi (Beijing), Grace Lee (Beijing) and Shan Lai (Beijing).
- Clayton Utz Supports Patrick in Expanding Port Botany Presence
- Latham & Watkins Advises on the Construction and Operation of the Second Container Terminal at King Abdulaziz Port in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- White & Case Advises China Development Bank on US$750 Million Committed Financing for Solar Power Projects in the USA
- Hogan Lovells Advises News Corporation on Purchase of Fifty Percent Interest in ESPN STAR Sports
- Morrison & Foerster Advises Dalian Port on its RMB400 Million RMB Bond Offering