Herbert Smith Freehills is advising Petroliam Nasional Berhad (PETRONAS) in relation to its proposed Refinery and Petrochemical Integrated Development (RAPID) project in Pengerang, Johor, Malaysia.
Larger than PETRONAS’ Malacca, Kerteh and Gebeng projects combined, the RAPID project is expected to produce 9 million tonnes of petroleum products and 4.5 million tonnes of petrochemicals per annum and to draw over RM120 billion (USD39.23 billion) in investment over the next 5 to 6 years.
With PETRONAS having signed Heads of Agreement with BASF and other partners to jointly develop and operate production facilities within the RAPID complex, Herbert Smith Freehills is now advising PETRONAS in relation to the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) and tender documentation for the project.
The Herbert Smith Freehills team is being led by partner James Bremen, with support from Sydney based Executive Counsel Stephen Byrne and lawyers from Herbert Smith Freehills’ London, Sydney and Doha offices.
James Bremen said, ‘This complex and challenging project highlights the benefit to clients of our deep bench of international talent. We are delighted to be working very closely with PETRONAS on what is a significant opportunity to further develop the Johor region.
- Herbert Smith Freehills Advises CNOOC on Its Heads of Agreement to Acquire QCLNG Stake and New LNG Supply
- Herbert Smith Freehills Advises Wolseley Private Equity on Its Purchase of Blue Star Group
- Herbert Smith Freehills Advises Leighton Properties on Sale of 567 Collins Street
- Herbert Smith Freehills Advises on the Acquisition and Leaseback of Seven CBD Buildings to the Queensland Government
- Herbert Smith Freehills Advises Energy Development Corporation on the Largest Wind Farm in the Philippines