Allen & Overy today announces the appointment of Peter McDonald to head the firm’s antitrust and competition practice in Australia as a partner in its global antitrust team.
Peter brings to the role many years of experience as a competition partner specialising in merger clearances, complex regulatory matters and defending clients in investigations and legal actions by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC).
Peter joins the firm from Herbert Smith Freehills where he has advised clients across a broad range of industries including the energy, mining, industrial, retail and financial services sectors.
He also brings a wealth of trade practices knowledge from his time as a senior officer at the ACCC and as a current member of the Competition and Consumer Committee of the Law Council of Australia.
Highly regarded by peers and clients for his competition law expertise, Peter has been ranked as a key practitioner in a number of key benchmarking publications including Chambers, Best Lawyers and Asia Pacific Legal 500 to name a few.
Grant Fuzi, Senior Partner of Allen & Overy’s Australian offices, says of the appointment: “Peter is without question one of the most highly regarded competition and regulatory practitioners in Australia. We are delighted to appoint him as lead partner in the Australian jurisdiction. His appointment reflects our abilities as one of the few major international firms able to offer a truly global antitrust practice.”
Elaine Johnston, co-head of the global antitrust practice said, “Peter’s appointment furthers our strategy to put in place a top-quality team of antitrust lawyers in the three key global regions: Asia Pacific, Europe and the United States. This ensures that we can offer our clients the critical advice they need on global antitrust, regulatory and litigation issues.”
- DLA Piper Expands Singapore Practice, Appoints Nathan Bush as Partner in Litigation and Regulatory Practice
- Allen & Overy Bolsters Asia Regulatory Offering with Appointment of Charlotte Robins as Partner in Hong Kong
- Allen & Overy Bolsters Asia Pacific Capital Markets Practice with China-focused U.S. Hire in Hong Kong
- Gilbert + Tobin Advising Qube in $9.05 Billion Consortium Acquisition of Asciano
- Allen & Overy Adds Key Hire to its International IP Practice With China Appointment