Herbert Smith has advised Sinopec, one of China’s largest energy and petrochemical companies, on its agreement to acquire a 49% stake in Canadian company Talisman Energy Inc’s UK North Sea business for $1.5 billion. The deal was signed on 23 July 2012.
Upon completion of the deal, Sinopec will hold 49% of the shares in Talisman Energy (UK) Limited, which owns 46 North Sea fields, operates 11 offshore platforms and the Flotta Terminal in Scotland. This transaction represents Sinopec’s first investment in the North Sea and a major acquisition by a Chinese company in the North Sea.
David Clinch commented:
“We are delighted to have assisted Sinopec on this major transaction, their first investment into the North Sea. This and other matters we have worked on recently demonstrate the continued appetite for UK North Sea investment. Herbert Smith fielded a cross-border team, utilising the skills and strength of our global energy offering, including our leading China energy practice.”
- Herbert Smith Freehills Completes US$1.5 Billion Acquisition for Sinopec
- Herbert Smith Freehills Advises Petrochina on Acquisition of Western Australian Gas Exploration Assets
- Herbert Smith Freehills Strenghtens Its Greater China Energy and Natural Resources Team
- Hogan Lovells Advises Talisman Energy on Farmout Deals in Indonesia
- Herbert Smith Advises SIPC on Its US$1.1 Billion Increase in Equity in APLNG Deal